Amazon EC2 (Elastic Compute Cloud) is a web service that provides resizable compute capacity in the cloud. It is designed to make web-scale computing easier and when combined with the CloudMGR console they are easy for non technical people to use also.
Amazon EC2 reduces the time required to obtain and boot new server instances to minutes, allowing you to quickly scale capacity, both up and down, as your computing requirements change. Amazon EC2 changes the economics of computing by allowing you to pay only for capacity that you actually use. When combined with CloudMGR's automated scheduling it is Easy to manage a fleet of Cloud Servers !
There are 3 types of EC2 Instance Servers
- On-demand: pay by hour without commitment
- Reserved: rent instances with one-time payment receiving discounts on the hourly charge
- Spot: bid-based service (runs the jobs only if the spot price is below the bid specified by bidder—the spot price is supply-demand based.
Server Instance Types
- T2 server instances are Burstable Performance Instances that provide a baseline level of CPU performance with the ability to burst above the baseline
- M3 This family includes the M3 instance types and provides a balance of compute, memory, and network resources, and it is a good choice for many applications.
- C3 instances are the latest generation of compute-optimized instances, providing customers with the highest performing processors and the lowest price/compute performance available in EC2 currently.
- R3 instances are optimized for memory-intensive applications and have the lowest cost per GiB of RAM among Amazon EC2 instance types.
- G2 This family includes G2 instances intended for graphics and general purpose GPU compute applications.
- I2 This family includes the High Storage Instances that provide very fast SSD-backed instance storage optimized for very high random I/O performance, and provide high IOPS at a low cost.
- HS1 instances provide very high storage density and high sequential read and write performance per instance. It also offers the highest storage density among other EC2 instances and is lowest on $/GB storage.